FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Jan. 4, 2018
Idaho National Laboratory a major contributor to Idaho’s economy
In fiscal year 2017, Idaho National Laboratory operations added $1.94 billion to Idaho’s gross domestic product, and the lab spent $139 million with Idaho businesses.
Those are just two of the key findings in INL’s Research & Development Economic Impact Summary for FY 2017.
Other highlights include:
- INL directly employed an average of 4,256 workers during the fiscal year. That makes the laboratory contractor Battelle Energy Alliance Idaho’s sixth-largest private employer and ninth-largest employer when compared to all public and private businesses.
- INL increased personal income in Idaho by $862 million. INL economic impacts accounted for 1.3 percent of all personal income in the state.
- Nearly $935 million of economic output was generated through INL suppliers and employee household spending.
- INL operations accounted for 12,027 jobs across Idaho, a 6.7 percent increase over FY 2016.
- INL spent $139 million with Idaho subcontractors located throughout the state.
- Battelle Energy Alliance employees contributed more than $610,000 to charitable giving.
“It’s rewarding to see the positive impact we have on Idaho’s economy,” INL Director Mark Peters said. “Ultimately, that means we are improving the lives of all Idahoans and their communities.”
The annual summary report was prepared by the Rexburg-based Research & Business Development Center. The FY 2017 Research & Development Economic Impact Summary is available online here. The economic impacts identified in the report only include operations managed by Battelle Energy Alliance and do not include the impacts of the U.S. Department of Energy cleanup contractor, the DOE itself, or the Naval Reactors Facility.
Idaho National Laboratory is one of the U.S. Department of Energy’s national laboratories. The laboratory performs work in each of DOE’s strategic goal areas: energy, national security, science and environment. INL is the nation’s leading center for nuclear energy research and development. Day-to-day management and operation of the laboratory is the responsibility of Battelle Energy Alliance.